VanDusen Gardens has become our backyard of sorts. It is always inviting and relaxing.
Compared to many municipal gardens around the world VanDusen Botanical Gardens is relatively new.
In 1910 it was scrub land owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway, when it was leased to the Shaughnessy Golf Club until 1960 when the CPR proposed a subdivision. This was opposed by citizens and ultimately the land was purchased for a park with monies coming from the City of Vancouver, the provincial government and the Vancouver Foundation led by a donation by W.J. VanDusen, noted industrialist and philanthropist, after whom the Garden was named.
VanDusen Botanical Gardens officially opened in 1975 and features 22 hectares of thousands of plants and many wonderful views.